The UConn Police Avery Point Substation is located in the stone house located across from the Student Center. Built in 1903, the house's original use was as the keeper’s house on the Morton Plante estate. The State of Connecticut acquired the property in the 1930’s from the heirs of Morton Plante and deeded the land to the United States government during World War II. The U.S. Coast Guard developed the land into the Training Station Groton site in 1942. During that time, our building was used to house the Security Detail for the United States Coast Guard Groton Training Station. Below are photographs of the Security Detail in front of the building. The detail also had a mascot named Duffy. Duffy died on January 2nd, 1947 and his remains are still buried along the walkway on the West side of campus. Training Station Groton was closed on October 1st, 1967 and UConn’s Southeastern Connecticut regional campus was born.
Our current building initially housed visiting professors while the Police Substation was housed in Physical Plant Building #7 (one of the original stables to the estate). In 1982, then Lieutenant Robert Hudd (later Chief) moved the department to the original keeper’s house; which is where it remains today.
The Avery Point substation is manned by UConn Police Officers 24/7, 365 days a year.
- UConn Faculty and Staff members are allowed to park in any non-designated spot throughout the campus.
- UConn Students and Visitors are required to park in Lots A, B, or D only.
- All UConn Faculty, Staff, and Students require a parking permit. Permits and information can be obtained through the Parking Services’ Website park.uconn.edu.
- The regional campus will recognize and allow all valid permits from other UConn locations.
The UConn Police Substation at the Avery Point campus provides fingerprinting services for Project Oceanology, so that they can be used by them to conduct a thorough background check on new employees.
Visit the Contact page to contact this department directly via email or phone.