The Division of University Safety encourages all members of the campus community to report crimes to UConn Police on a timely basis.  This allows law enforcement leaders to determine if a Timely Warning Notice or Emergency Notification should be issued to alert the campus community of a dangerous situation. Additionally, such reports allow law enforcement to track crime trends and make statistical reports in accordance with the Clery Act.

Certain non-law enforcement members of the campus community are designated as Campus Security Authorities (CSA) by virtue of their position or role on campus. CSAs are people who are likely to receive reports of criminal violations on campus. For example, an RA in a residence hall is considered a CSA.

The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students, in particular, may be hesitant to report crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.

To review information on reportable Clery Act crimes, reportable disciplinary referrals or the Clery Act incident occurrence locations that are reportable, please refer to Maps and Geography Definitions and Clery Crime Definitions pages on this site.


The law defines four categories of CSAs:

  1. University Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.
  2. Non-police individuals of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on university property including, but not limited to, Building and Grounds, Husky Watch, security staff at athletic events, security staff at student functions and student ID checkers access management throughout campus (e.g., the field house).
  3. The Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSAs, consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for Officials (i.e., not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students.
    1. An Official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the University. If someone has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, s/he is a CSA. Some examples of CSAs in this category include, but are not limited to, deans, student affairs professionals, student housing staff, athletic director/assistant directors, coaches, student activities coordinators, student judicial officers and faculty/staff advisors to student organizations.
  4. Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses – University Police.


The following non-CSA positions and functions include, but are not limited to, administrative staff members who are not responsible for students, clerical staff, individual faculty with no student activity duties outside the classroom, medical staff at University Health Services or counselors in the Counseling Center who provide care to individual students.


When a crime is reported to a CSA be sure to ask the person if they would like to report the incident to University Police. If so, contact University Police at 860-486-4800. If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with University Police, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority Crime Reporting Form. However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report with University Police, leaving the CSA with no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Crime Report.

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes reported to them on a timely basis to University Police. However, under the Clery Act, only Clery Act qualifying crimes are required to be reported to the Clery Compliance Coordinator. The CSA Crime Reporting Form can be submitted to the University Clery Compliance Coordinator online.

CSAs are not required to determine the validity of any complaint.  They are simply required to report all allegations received while acting in their capacity as a CSA.  The CSA should gather incident information sufficient to properly classify the incident.  CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Campus Safety Authority Reporting Form should be completed and submitted.


The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:

“As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the University. I am required to report this incident to the Clery Compliance Coordinator for the purpose of statistical reporting. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?”


The University Clery Compliance Coordinator reviews CSA reports and determines whether it is a reportable crime in accordance with the Clery Act. These reports are also evaluated by University Safety officials for timely warning and emergency notification consideration.  In certain situations it may be necessary to notify the campus community of certain criminal activity or threats.

The data from CSA Reports as well as data from other university sources are consolidated and reported annually to the US Department of Education, the State of Connecticut and published in the University's Annual Security and Fire Report.  It should be noted that no personally identifiable information that may have been included on a CSA Report is included in statistical reports.


Regardless of your status (CSA or non-CSA), all community members are encouraged to promptly report all criminal incidents and other University Safety related emergencies to police. For incidents requiring immediate attention, dial 911 or use any Emergency Phone located throughout the campus. Non-emergency incidents can be reported by dialing 860-486-4800 from any phone or in person at the UConn Police Department (126 North Eagleville Road, Storrs, CT 06269).